Running for Office

Campaign Finance Reporting

City elections are governed by the state statutes contained in the Colorado Municipal Election Code, except as otherwise provided by the Dacono Municipal Charter or by ordinances not inconsistent with this charter. All regular and special elections shall be nonpartisan.

The Colorado Secretary of State offers helpful candidate information to assist with compliance of all laws concerning campaign and political finance.

Political Sign Regulations

All sign regulations are contained in the Dacono Municipal Code, Chapter 16, Article 11.5.

Do political signs require a permit?

General temporary signs not exceeding 10 square feet in total sign area, and five square feet of sign area per face, advertising or identifying a property for rent, lease, or sale, political and ideological signs, garage sale signs, and special city-authorized or city-recognized event signs do not require a permit.

Where can I put my political signs?

Any resident can post a political sign on their private property with the consent of the property owner that conforms to the size requirements of the D.M.C. Signs are not permitted in the public right-of-way. Signs cannot be taped to any public utility pole such as a light pole or traffic signs.

Homeowner Associations (HOAs) may have local regulations regarding size, number, and location of signs. Check with your local HOA, if applicable.

  1. Valerie Taylor, MMC

    City Clerk